Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Robopocalypse is Here (book recommendation)



With a doctorate in robotics, Wilson can actually make sense when he explains that the why of the so-called robopocalypse is as important, and as interesting, as the how. I saw this book reviewed and discussed on John Scalzi's Whatever blog and just had to keep reading. In fact, I'm going to have to add it to my Goodreads "to be read" shelf! As Scalzi says, "The novel’s gotten a lot of attention (it’s already been optioned by Steven Spielberg, of whom you may have heard), but there’s more going on than robots and humans thumping on each other."

Weirdly (especially given Speilberg is already optioning the book!) this book's premise reminds me almost exactly of AI: Artificial Intelligence (which was also made into a Speilberg movie, not that I'm complaining! AI is one of my all-time favorite movies ^_^) combined with a weird take on the Terminator series of stories.

From Daniel H. Wilson's Goodreads page for the book:
In the near future, at a moment no one will notice, all the dazzling technology that runs our world will unite and turn against us. Taking on the persona of a shy human boy, a childlike but massively powerful artificial intelligence known as Archos comes online and assumes control over the global network of machines that regulate everything from transportation to utilities, defense and communication.
I'm not sure why the preponderance of robot-killer stories lately but this one actually sounds like it will hold my attention--whereas, the likes of Transformers and Skyline couldn't even interest me enough to Netflix them. For FREE! I attribute the richer story and higher caliber of writing to the fact that Wilson has a Ph.D. from Carnegie-Mellon University. Where else would one go for robots but the place that spawned the World Wide Web? ^_^

No comments: