Monday, July 4, 2011

Marketing Monday: Holiday Red, White & Blues

Here in the US, it's Independence Day and I'm doing a very patriotic reading of "Unto the Breach,"  Book 4 of John Ringo's Ghost/Kildar series about a former US Navy SEAL who kills a bunchaton of people and breaks just about everything he encounters ((( VBEG )))

This book is not free (though if you are clever enough you can probably find it in digital form for free). It is however WELL-worth paying hard-earned money for.

In fact, I'd venture to say that this specific volume of this series is one of the NYT Best Selling author's best works -- of his entire career. It's a huge book--printed in HC on super thin paper to make it heavy but only 1.5" thick; however, it's over 600 pages long! I can't believe I'm only halfway through it, but then, I did have to work a 14-hr shift yesterday so I couldn't read all day and actually fell asleep last night, albeit about 3 hours past my bedtime *smirk*

Since I know the series well, and have read the entire 5-book series three times previously, know this story in particular inside out, I might be a little biased, but man, I love the crunchy military feel to this specific book. It's definitely got a lot of "backfill" to make it nest into the series but this book is 110% a milfic, not a fantasy .... except for the hookers. And the hareem. And the tens of millions of dollars. And the castle. Okay, so there's a little bit of male fantasy wish fulfillment but hey, Ringo started the whole thing as a joke! He's entitled. I'll say this (SPOILER ALERT) while I can forgive him Gretchen's demise, I cannot ever get over Sawn's. Gotta admire an author who kills off a MAJOR character. I've done it (Raif's death was the worst, kept me numb for 3 days after writing it) but most authors don't. I think it makes a book--especially a series book--much more believeable, and memorable, when someone you never expect to die actually ... does. On the upside, the MC's transformation from the joker asshole in Book 1 to the Sword-Edged Commander in Book 4 really works because of it.

And now I am going back to my very adult humor, dark and crunchy milfic with Super SEAL Mike "Ghost" Harmon. See you in Valhalla!

Happy 4th of July to my fellow Americans--and to those serving in uniform THANK YOU for your ongoing service ensuring my ongoing freedom! This Bostongrrl sends you a big smooch of appreciation!

.

No comments: