Friday, November 18, 2011

FREEBIE FRIDAY #SciFi #Romance #Paranormal #Mystery and #Technothriller #action What r u reading? #WAYR @fridayreads @goodreads #weekendgoodreads

Welcome to the last Freebie Friday feature at the Webbiegrrl blog. Due to a number of factors and recent changes to my work schedule (with more coming in the next 30-60 days), I'll be discontinuing this feature after today. I didn't want to just "cancel without notice" but don't worry, I won't leave you without resources.

Today's 3 freebies are selected (by me) from the collection of free eBooks by Indie Authors assembled at Bibliotastic.com. Bibliotastic has only free eBooks--all free, all the time. You simply register with Bibliotastic and you can download the Kindle (PRC), Nook/Apple (ePub) or PDF file in seconds. Please bookmark the site to find new freebies yourself in the weeks to come!

I was first turned onto Bibliotastic.com by Letitia Coyne, whose book, Petra, was featured here back in July, 2011 and will be the first of this week's featured freebies as my way of saying yet another "thank you" to Letitia for the tip. (hugs) Plus, I love that Letitia wrote a story highlight slavery. Given my November campaign to raise awareness to #StopHumanTrafficking and #endSlavery, I cannot think of a better way to kick off my final feature.


Petra is an "unputdownable" non-formulaic Historical Romance by Aussie Indie, Letitia Coyne, which has some fantasy elements of world-building in an alternate reality.

Aya grew up as a scavenger, trailing the Bedouin caravans. Bought from the arena as a young man, his new life as Sethos, the adopted son of a wealthy Roman merchant, is stained by the stigma of his past.

Jaida was raised in luxurious slavery, destined to be a virgin oracle. When the fall of a dice brings her future into question, it is Sethos who must define freedom and slavery, life or liberty – for himself and for her. He has money, strength and cunning, and she has no more than her faith.



Staying with the fantasy and alternate reality meme, I give you The Demon Girl by London-based Indie, Penelope Fletcher (@Miss_Fletcher). This is the beginning of the Rae Wilder series so proceed at your own risk if you're an addictive reader! At the moment (no guarantees about 5 minutes from now or whenever you might check it), this book is also priced at $0.00 in the American Amazon Kindle Store so you can download it for free direct to your Kindle if you'd like. Get the ePub (Nook) or PDF files from Bibliotastic. Check out Miss Fletcher's Facebook for deets on the other 2 books of this series.


Rae Wilder has problems. Supernatural creatures swarm the earth, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Stalked by a handsome fairy who claims she is like him, demonkind, Rae thinks maybe it was a mistake breaking the rules by going over the Wall into demon territory. Plunged into a world of dark magics, fierce creatures, and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet.

The changes to her mind and body are startling, but rather than accept her purpose she struggles against who she is destined to be. Throw in a big lust for a vampire who can't keep his hands off her, and life starts to get complicated.

Rae is forced to make the ultimate choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control.



Lastly, because we seem to have a theme going on here, I'll give you a mystery/thriller that is also set in an alternate reality but this last feature has no paranormal elements. Probably. Unless you count the ghost in the machine! ^_^

I haven't read this book but the reviews imply it is a geekfest of techtalk and since I am, after all the webbiegrrl, I figured Rice Tea by the young "queer Canadian" author/filmmaker, Julien McArdle (@BotnetMovie), was an appropriate title with which to close the final feature. Thank you for letting me use you, Julien! O_o

Seth Arnott is not your typical undergraduate student. Gifted and bored, he uses his computer skills and an uncanny understanding of the telephone network to unleash pranks across campus. When Seth accidentally listens in on the work of a computer criminal he blogs about it on his website. Within a day of encountering the criminal, he is framed for operating one of the world's largest networks of infected computers. Confused, Seth flees underground and attempts to prove his innocence. What follows is an exciting journey through the world of cyber-crime.




What's Next....
I hope you've enjoyed the Freebie Fridays at Webbiegrrl's Writings. If you're an Indie Author and want to be featured "solo" sometime, tweet me @webbiegrrl  (on Twitter) or post a note to the Webbiegrrl Facebook Page. No guarantees, but it can't hurt to ask. I've done an author spotlight before and could do it again. Maybe.

For my readers, I'll have to find some other use for the Friday blog. The Saturday Surprise might have to be cancelled due to work schedule (again, not sure how things will play out for the next 2 weeks but should know by the first week of December if I still have a job and just need to completely overhaul my schedule or am job-hunting for something else entirely).

I don't like to complain about work on this blog but I'm more aggravated about how work is interfering with my writing career than I am about the fact I may need to find a new job (without any notice). I'm this close to finishing the edits on the SciFi thriller (in the Phoenician Series) which was scheduled for release December 31, 2011. Obviously that might have to be put off a month or more if I have to search for and start a new job instead. All in all, I'd rather be writing--who wouldn't?!

Please stay tuned to the Twitterstream and Facebook Page for news of my demise.

Shabbat Shalom (such as it were)

No comments: